Sunday, October 4, 2009

After the Fall: the next step

On Monday, after arriving at my friend, Donna's house, I saw an orthopedist in Los Alamos, who looked at my Xrays, removed the splint, and after probing around a bit, said that he didn't think the scaphoid was broken. This was good news, as it meant I could probably use the thumb much earlier than expected. He then put me in a short, lightweight, Purple cast, and said I should see a local orthopedist when I got home; Friday or Monday would be fine.

Heidi, my daughter, arrived mid-afternoon, and we spent the rest of the day settling in and visiting with Donna and Wilbur. On Tuesday we started out on our way home. Heidi didn't want to drive the whole 8 hours in one day, so we decided to stop off at the Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in San Antonio, NM , and then stay overnight in Truth or Consequences. The wildlife was almost non-existent at the refuge, but the scenery was beautiful, although a bit overcast.

On Wednesday, we started the last part of our journey, and stopped at Rockhound State Park, outside of Deming, NM. Unlike most of our other stops in NM, it was quite hot there, and I couldn't stay out in the heat very long; so after a while we took off. Heidi did find some very nice rocks, however, and I got some smaller stones inside the Visitor's Center. We then had our lunch at a scenic Rest Stop, (we had shopped for provisions before leaving Santa Fe) and continued on home, arriving around 7pm. I don't know when I've been happier to get home from a trip.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting; please leave a comment, favorable or not. I'd love to hear your thoughts. That's how we learn and grow; and how we know someone out there is paying attention.

Have a wonderful day; see you all next time.