Monday, January 27, 2014

Zendala Dare #89

Have you ever been feverishly/doggedly (choose your own adjective) working on a project, and you know just what you want to do; but something's not working quite right, and you realize that you're tired and should probably take a rest? Of course you have. But, since you know just what needs to be done, and you can't wait to see the finished project, (or perhaps you're anxious to show it to someone, or post it online) you keep on working at it anyway. And the end result is a little sloppy sometimes. Well, that's my dilemma. I just couldn't/wouldn't stop working on this Zendala when I should have, and while I'm really happy with the overall effect, there are areas that are a bit sloppy; The lines are not as crisp and smooth as I'd like, but I think that to the naked eye (one that's not looking for mistakes, which we don't have in Zentangles anyway) it's OK.

That said, let's backtrack to the template: 
 
When I first looked at it, I wasn't sure what I could do with it. It seemed a little static, a little more geometric than what I usually like to do. But I started playing around with the center, which I first thought could be kind of flowery, (I was wrong) and then everything fell into place. I just decided to go with the geometric look, and, as you can see, I don't think there's a recognizable tangle or pattern in the whole shebang. I just worked within each shape, and this is what I came up with.

 In spite of the not so perfect lines, here it is:

 It's a little different from what I usually do, with a few exceptions, but I'm really happy with it.

I used Sakura Microns in various thicknesses, on Strathmore 400 Series Gray Scale paper 8.5" square, shaded with a graphite pencil. (which I just dropped and broke!) and lightened up with soapstone. 

Be sure to visit the the Bright Owl's site; see the other wonderful entries, and maybe try out one of the Zendala Dares yourself.

Thanks for visiting; please leave a comment, favorable or not. I'd love to hear your thoughts. That's how we learn and grow; and how we know someone out there is paying attention.

Have a wonderful day, week, month; see you all next time.

14 comments :

  1. 'Bold and beautiful' that's what I think when looking at your zendala. I like that!
    Hope you feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Glad that you like it. And I do feel better, now that I'm done with it.

      Delete
  2. It is really amazing, Audrie - the geometrical shapes work perfectly. I understand that feeling you describe at the beginning too! Love this Zendala. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie. I think we probably all have felt that way at some time or another. Glad you like my Zendala.

      Delete
  3. Audrie, you came up with a beautifully bold zendala based on that very different template. Sometimes it's good to jump out of our comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jean. You're right about jumping out of our comfort zone. But sometimes one feels more like doing it than other times. This time I just jumped right in, but other times I can't do it; or at least need a kick start to get going.

      Delete
  4. This is indeed a bold Zendala. I think some templates are more difficult than others and this is one in that category. I think what you decided to do by starting and letting it lead you provided a good result. Remember the line is One stroke at a time, not one tangle at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donald. This template was more difficult than usual, but once I started, I just instinctively knew what to do next. All in all, I'm very happy with the results.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful done, it reminds me of an Indian totem pole.Also al the empty spaces don't bother, it gives it ZEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carmela. I'm glad you like it. You're right; it definitely looks like totem poles. And Zen is what we're all after, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. ok.. my first thought..SOUTHWEST! having lived in New Mexico for several years (and still my favorite spot in the USA) it reminds me a little of the Zia design on the NM flag! Since much of my art is southwest inspired..this one really caught my attention! i love love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you "love, love" this. And for the record, I am in the Southwest. Tucson, to be exact.

      Delete
  7. I felt the same way in the beginning as you about this particular template. What am I gonna do with this thing? Well, your Zendala is creative and beautiful especially the center! Nice shading, too.

    Happy tangling,

    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting; please leave a comment, favorable or not. I'd love to hear your thoughts. That's how we learn and grow; and how we know someone out there is paying attention.

Have a wonderful day; see you all next time.